For general cargo, the majority handled are steel products, industrial vehicles & machinery, project cargoes, forestry products and metal ingots. The key international carriers calling at the port include ASC Liner Service, Austral Asia Line, BBC Chartering, China Navigation, Chipolbal Shipping, Eastern Car Liner, Griegstar Nortrans Shipping, Hiap Woon Shipping, 'K' Line Kinkai, Mbf Carpenters Shipping, Perkins Shipping, Rickmers-Linie GmbH & Cie.KG, Toko Line and Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics.The regional feeder operators include Bintang Mas Shipping, Bayswater Shipping, Eng Lee Shipping and Foong Sun Shipping. Jurong Port is connected globally to major ports in the world. Some of key trade services include:
- Austral Asia Line (AAL) who offers 2 dedicated service loops between North Asia to East Coast Australia and North South East Asia to West Coast Australia Asia.
- ASC Liner Services operates regular liner services from South East Asia to Western Australia.
- BBC Chartering & Clippers Projects operate a service from Asia via South Africa to ECSA, mainly offering project based tramper services.
- China Navigation covers the Asia-to-South Pacific, with round-the-world services, extending its network to Europe, North America, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
- Chipolbrok (Principal) instead of Chipolbal (a local JV setup) operates Far East to USA (West, Gulf and East Coast) Service, North Europe to Far East (via Suez Canal) Service.
- Griegstar Nortrans operates weekly service between Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.
- Hiap Woon Shipping, a sister company of Glory Navigation Co Ltd (Taiwan), trades between Taiwan and major Southeast Asian countries.
- Mbf Carpenters Shipping offers a liner service linking SE Asia with Papua New Guinea and the South Pacific Islands.
- Rickmers operates Round the World Pearl String Service (East Bound) connecting Europe, Asia and America on a fortnightly basis.
- TOKO, ECL & K Line Kinkai operates services between Japan and the SE Asia Regions.
- WWL operates the Asia – N. America service, SE Asia Express Service and Oceania-Asia Trade Service.
Main feedering trade lanes include SIN-Batam, SIN-Bintan, SIN-East Malaysia services. Cargo handled at Jurong Port are mainly local (about 70-74 per cent), the rest are for transhipment. The cargo are mainly from Europe/China (steel/project cargo/mining equipment) via Jurong Port to the Southeast Asia region. We also handle timber/rubber/plywood from Southeast Asia region to the US.
The Port is also accredited by the London Metal Exchange as an ideal storage and transhipment hub for companies dealing in metals such as steel and tin ingots. The key LME Operators at Jurong Port include C.Steinweg Warehousing (FE) Pte Ltd, Henry Bath Singapore Pte Ltd and Pacorini Toll Pte Ltd.
For the Bulk Cargo, cement constitutes the largest component of this segment. Other bulk cargo handled by the Port include industrial chemicals, refined sugar, copper slag, scrap iron, fertilizers, lubricant and base oil.
Jurong Port’s key customers are mainly the cement operators such as Larfage Cement, Singapore Cement, JCL Building Materials, Engro Corporation, Asia Cement, United Cement, Holcim Singapore and Sin Heng Chan. Other bulk customers include BP S'pore, Eneos Italsing and SIS '88 Pte Ltd.
To ensure high productivity and efficiency, the Port has in place an extensive network of pipelines and conveyor systems, including common and dedicated unloaders, for hassle-free and environment-friendly discharging operations.
With these unloaders operating at a maximum rated capacity of up to 800 tonnes per hour, bulk commodities are speedily discharged from vessels at the berths directly to nearby storage facilities of customers. This translates into faster vessel turnaround, more shipment deliveries and cost-savings on stevedoring charges.
A good example is the discharge of sugar via a 550-metre enclosed conveyor belt which transfers the imported sugar shipment directly from the vessel at the berth into our customer's 24,000-tonne silo. It now takes an average of 3 days to deliver the bulk sugar as opposed to 10 days where the sugar is bagged upon delivery.
The Port has also developed the General and Bulk Management System (GBMS), which allows customers to make B2B transactions easily and conveniently with the Port.
For containers, Jurong Port generally handles 20ft, 40ft and 45ft of general purpose, high cube, reefer, tank container and dangerous goods, among others. The key carriers include CSAV Norasia, China Navigation, Delmas Shipping, CMA CGM, Emirates, Hub Marine, Buana Shipping and Lily Marine.
Some of the carriers and their service routes are as follows:
- CSAV Norasia – They offer weekly sailing on their Asia South America Express Service and new discovery shipping which are connected to regions such as North Asia, South Africa and East Coast South America.
- Emirates – They offer Hyper Galex Service and East Africa Service that connects to China, Malaysia, India UAE and East Africa.
- Hub Marine – They offer services such as India Service, Papua New Guinea Service and East Malaysia Service that connects to Malaysia, Brunei, Papua New Guinea and India.
Capability for Inter-Terminal Transhipment
Jurong Port has a global connectivity, extending more than 100 major ports across 50 countries. Jurong Port has also enhanced its connectivity through its Inter-terminal arrangement with PSA Corporation for a fast and smooth connection for transhipment. This is made possible by system linkages between the 2 port operators, which also offers a platform for real time information exchange and monitoring.
Awards and Achievements
In 2008 and 2009, Jurong Port was presented the "Best Container Terminal Operator - Asia (under 1 million TEUS per annum)" at the renowned Asian Freight and Supply Chain Awards (AFSCA). From 2003 to 2008, the Port was voted AFSCA's "Best Emerging Container Terminal Operator - Asia". In 2007, the Supply Chain and Management Logistics World Awards gave Jurong Port the thumbs up for the "Best Asia Pacific Container Terminal" Award.
In 2009, Jurong Port has also won the Lloyd’s List "Achievement in Safety" Award, in recognition of its contributions to improving workplace safety.